The Deal branch of the County Library was opened in a building formerly known as the Primitive Methodist Church, in Park Street, by Alderman F. W. Payne, J.P., chairman of the Kent County Council, on October 3rd, 1932, in the presence of a distinguished company. A smaller library had already been established at the Council Offices in Liverpool Road, Walmer, and this was kept open. In 5 days, 105 people registered as members of the Deal Library, and this was increased to 241 two days later.
In July 1943, a valuable collection of books of local and county historical interest, comprising upwards of 650 volumes, from the library of the late Dr. F. W. Hardman, which had been transferred to the Deal branch library in Park Street, was formally accepted on behalf of the Borough by Lord Northbourne, Vice-Chairman of the Kent Education Committee. In expressing the town’s appreciation of the cultural value to the community of the generous bequest, Lord Northbourne remarked that he hoped that someone would cover the period which as elapsed since Laker’s History of Deal was published.
As recorded in the records of the Second World War, the Library in Park Street was wrecked towards the end of the War, and the library was transferred to the east wing of the Parochial Schools, London Road. Here it remained until November 1948, when the premises were required for school purposes once more. The former Victoria Hospital in Wellington Road (later the Labour Exchange) had been acquired but, as considerable alterations and renovations were deemed necessary, temporary accommodation was taken at the Hall of the Victoria Baptist Church until June 1949, when the move was made to Wellington Road. (Written by E.C. Pain)